Perhaps you have been involved in a serious auto accident. If this car wreck was not your fault, you should retain a good personal injury attorney right away. Often times, car accident victims can make critical mistakes early on after the vehicle accident which will detrimentally affect their personal injury settlement. Knowing a few things ahead of time will make the situation go more smoothly:
* If you have suffered injuries, immediately seek proper medical care. Go at once to the emergency room for treatment. Not getting treatment for serious injuries can be extremely dangerous, even fatal. In addition, it can work against you in your personal injury lawsuit case.
* At the injury accident site, be sure to exchange personal and insurance information with the other party involved. File a police report if possible. While not all car accidents will be able to have a police report, this can be very helpful in determining fault.
* Make statements to the police or your attorney only. Do not offer explanations or details to the other driver in particular. what you say now can be held against you.
* Following the vehicle accident, it is quite likely that you will be contacted by the other party’s insurance company. An insurance adjuster or an investigator will contact you and request an interview. Do not answer any questions, as it is possible you may say something wrong without even being aware of it. Don’t hurt your case by speaking without your car accident attorney.
* Do not give any written or recorded statements without consulting your attorney. This can be a serious mistake. Many accident victims make this mistake, and do not receive the settlement they may have the right to.
* Photograph the scene of the accident, and any injuries you received as a result of the car crash. Also include any damaged property, beside the car involved. This would include personal items destroyed by the car wreck. Be sure to preserve any evidence; let your attorney decide if it is relevant to your car accident personal injury claim.
* Get the names and phone numbers of any eye witnesses. Do not make any statements to witnesses, just ask them for their information.
* In today’s world of information, it is most important that nothing is put out on any social networks. Do not post to your Facebook, Twitter or any other social media accounts. This includes text messaging as well. Any posting or texting may be used against you in your personal injury claim settlement.
It is very important to seek legal counsel as soon as possible after your car injury accident. A good personal injury lawyer has the proper experience, knowledge and staff to effectively deal with legal documents, insurance adjustors and regulations which will help bring a favorable settlement to your car accident lawsuit.