If you or a loved one have suffered a personal injury caused by a dog bite, you may need to know these important facts to be able to proceed safely and recover some of the costs you have had to encounter due to the dog attack.
* ALWAYS seek medical care after a dog bite injury. Even in a seemingly minor attack, it is important to have treatment. Anytime the skin is broken medical treatment is necessary. Dog bites can result in potentially very serious infections and need proper medical attention. Rabies can be a significant concern.
* Photograph your injuries, both initially and after a few days. Bruising and infections will appear differently at different stages.
* Record pertinent information about the dog attack, such as the date and the location. Include the name and address of the dog owner. Get statements from any witnesses, with names and addresses.
* File a police report. This is crucial and can be particularly helpful if the dog has been aggressive before.
* Gather all related medical records and bills. Any costs you have incurred can be part of your dog bite settlement case. Be sure to include any personal property which may have been damaged, such as clothing or items that may have been chewed or damaged by the dog. Also include any injuries to your own pet, if that occurred.
*. Never handle your own dog bite lawsuit claim. Statistics have shown that insurance companies pay several times more to claimants represented by a dog bite attorney than to those who go it alone. Your dog bite injury attorney will consult with you about your dog bite injury compensation case.
* Dog bite injury victims may be entitled to much more than just the cost of their medical bills. Loss of wages may be covered if you have lost work due to the dog attack.
* A dog attack can be more than just physically traumatic. Children, in particular, may need therapy and counseling. Counseling may be necessary in the case of an emotionally traumatic dog attack, even just by someone who witnessed the attack.
* Dog bite law can vary by city or county. It is extremely important to be represented by an attorney who is experienced in dealing with dog bite lawsuits. A qualified and experienced personal injury lawyer who has handled dog bite cases will be an asset to you in your insurance claim and settlement. Contact a dog bite attorney to discuss your potential dog bite injury compensation lawsuit.