What You Need to Know About Dog Bites
If you or a member of your family have been attacked and suffered injuries from a vicious dog attack, you need to know some important things so you can proceed safely. Also, you will want to be able to recover some of the costs you have had because of the vicious dog attack. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Seek immediate medical care after a dog bite injury. Even if it seems to be a minor attack, it is important to have proper medical treatment. Dogs often cause serious infections when they bite. You will need proper medical attention. Rabies always should be ruled out as a possibility.
- Make a written statement about the dog attack. Note things like the date and place of the dog attack, what, in your opinion caused the attack, and the name and address of the dog owner, if you know. Be sure to take down statements from any witnesses, with their names and contact information as well.
- In order to have the wounds documented, have your injuries photographed.
- Gather all pertinent medical records and any expenses you have incurred due to the injuries caused by the dog attack. Include any costs for bandages, medications, and any lost wages from not being able to work. If any personal items such as clothing was damaged, be sure to include that too.
- Be sure to contact a dog bite injury lawyer who can advise you about dog laws in California. The attorney will consult with you about your dog bite injury compensation case. The attorney consultation can result in an investigation into the ways you might recover your expenses against the dog owner.
- You may be able to settle with the dog owner’s homeowner’s insurance company yourself, but this is not advisable. Do not handle your own dog bite lawsuit claim; statistics show that payouts are larger to those victims who are represented by a dog bite attorney than to those who settle on their own.
- Dog bite injury victims are entitled to more than just their medical bills. You may also be entitled to receive money for the loss of wages for missing work, and for future plastic surgery or treatment for emotional distress in the case of a particularly traumatic attack. An attack by a dog can be more than just physically traumatic. Children, in particular, may need therapy and counseling.
Don’t hesitate to contact a personal injury lawyer who specializes in dog bite law. You and your family deserve to be compensated for the injuries which have been suffered by a violent dog bite.