While Fido is considered to be man’s best friend, dogs are after all animals, and undeniable that dog bites are a possibility. Knowing how to possibly avoid a dog bite injury can be extremely helpful in avoiding a devastating dog bite attack.
Here are 10 tips to know anytime you are around a dog:
- Always be aware of the dogs around you. More and more dogs are out in social situations these days, be familiar with your surroundings.
- Keep a safe distance from a strange dog, even one who is on a leash. Many dog attacks come from a restrained dog whose owner can’t control them.
- Under no circumstances should you attempt to “stare down” a strange dog. This will be interpreted by the dog as aggressive behavior, and often will result in the dog challenging you for the head of the pack status.
- If you see an unleashed dog, avoid it. Simply crossing the street, reversing your direction, or turning down another route can often take attention away from you.
- Do not ever touch a strange dog, no matter how cute or small, without asking the owner for permission. Even if this is a friendly dog, never just reach out to pet a strange animal.
- Make sure that you never tease a dog. Actions such as reaching through a fence to pet a dog, or teasing with a bit of a treat can also be construed as aggressive.
- Most people with common sense know to never approach a snarling or growling dog. However, you should also know that you should never approach a dog who is eating, sleeping, or even nursing. They may feel they are being forced to be defensive.
- Children are most at risk of being the victim of a vicious dog attack. Teach your children early on to avoid certain behaviors around dogs to avert a possibly horrible attack. Teach your child to never run from a dog, or to scream loudly. A sleeping dog that is suddenly startled awake can become violent quickly.
- Never under any circumstances, leave a baby or young child alone with a dog. No matter what the size or breed, any dog is capable of causing severe injuries.
- Most dogs will be protective of their property. If you have entered an area where the dogs lives, you may be considered a threat to the dog and his family. Be aware.
Dog bite attacks can be horrible and traumatic. Learning how to avoid one can literally save a life. If you have been involved in a dog bite attack, contact the law offices of Jeffrey Dawson to discuss your potential dog bite lawsuit settlement.